Activities at the retreat include exploration of the crystal clear emerald rock pools and there are plenty of gullies for safe fishing and snorkeling. The river offers un-spoilt mangrove swamps, estuarine and river fishing and is navigable for several kilometers.
Ride perfect point breaks from Tshani point to Lwandile point, both are world class. In-house surf lessons are also available and include boards.
A variety of other activities and attractions in the area are available such as guided hikes to Mapuzi Caves, Coffee Bay, Secret Beach and Hluleka Nature Reserve or explore the river by kayak and do some bird watching and indigenous tree spotting.
- Surfing - World class right hand points. Classic beach breaks. Waves to suit all levels. Lessons and boards available.
- Fishing - river, rock and surf. Fishing gear and bait available .
- Hiking trails - Take a hike on the wild side. Guided hikes to Port St Johns, Hluleka, Mapuzi Caves and Coffee Bay can be arranged.
- Horse rides - Explore the village on horse back or go for a beach ride. These are not your average racehorses, so relax, sit back and enjoy the ride and awesome scenery!
- Bird watching (Crowned Crane, Fish Eagle, Giant King Fisher, Hornbills, Bea Eaters, Sun Birds, Raptors – too many to mention…..and many, many more…. We’re not too clued up on all the bird species, so maybe you can help us identify a few.)
- Visit the beautiful fresh water pools of the upper Mdumbi river. Spend the day swimming and sunning in a secluded and peaceful environment.
- Discover local culture. Try your hand at Xhosa pot bread baking and learn to weave grass mats or send the kids herding cattle with the local children.
- Explore the river by kayak. Very scenic and tranquil. Take a fishing rod along and you might come home with dinner!!
- Coffee Bay - 1 hour drive or 3 hour hike
- Hole in the Wall - 1½ hour drive
- Lwandile Point - 20 minute drive
- Presleys Bay -45 minute drive
- Hluleka Nature Reserve - 1½ hour drive
- Mapuzi Caves - 1 hour drive
- Nelson Mandela Open Air Museum - Mthata - 2 hour drive
- Port St Johns - 4 hour drive